Saturday, October 22, 2022

Wall Street Journal on 'Las Vegas: A Water Conservation Trailblazer Amid the Worst Drought in 1,200 Years'

I promised "a more positive story about dealing with the drought to share with my readers" in PBS NewsHour on Great Salt Lake shrinking during the current drought. It's the Wall Street Journal's Las Vegas: A Water Conservation Trailblazer Amid the Worst Drought in 1,200 Years, which YouTube also recommended to me. Behold the power of the YouTube algorithm!

As severe drought in the West forces states to make drastic water cuts, Las Vegas offers a road map to making the most out of every drop of water. Since 2002, Southern Nevada has cut its Colorado River water use by 26% while its population has grown by 750,000.
The video I embedded in PBS Terra asks 'What Will Life Look Like as MAJOR Rivers Run Dry?' mentioned the water conservation measures Las Vegas was taking before it moved on to more efficient irrigation practices for agriculture, itself an expansion of the policies in Vox asks and answers 'Who's really using up the water in the American West?' I'm glad Las Vegas can serve as good example to Salt Lake City, Phoenix, where my stepdaughter lives, and other cities in the arid and semiarid west and southwest. We could use more good examples. Speaking of which, I might show this to my students as an example of household water conservation. If so, welcome to blogging as professional development.

Since there is no new episode of "Saturday Night Live" tonight, stay tuned for a real Sunday entertainment update.

No comments:

Post a Comment