Friday, February 22, 2013

Chasing Ice

I mentioned "Chasing Ice" when I wrote about "Skyfall" winning best song at the Golden Globes.  With the Oscars coming up Sunday night, it's time to post about the movie, or at least the clips I've seen online about it.

I begin with a clip I'm going to add to my lectures in Geology and Environmental Science.  In the former, it's to illustrate how icebergs form.  In the latter, it's to show the effects of climate change.  Either way, the largest glacier calving ever filmed is going to make a powerful impression.

On May 28, 2008, Adam LeWinter and Director Jeff Orlowski filmed a historic breakup at the Ilulissat Glacier in Western Greenland. The calving event lasted for 75 minutes and the glacier retreated a full mile across a calving face three miles wide. The height of the ice is about 3,000 feet, 300-400 feet above water and the rest below water.
In addition to the science of the movie, "Chasing Ice" is an award winner and nominee.
Chasing Ice won the award for Excellence in Cinematography at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and the Best Documentary from the International Press Association. It has won over 30 awards at festivals worldwide.
...
"CHASING ICE" is NOMINATED for an Academy Award: Best Original Song "Before My Time" by J. Ralph featuring Scarlett Johansson and Joshua Bell.
Here is the official music video.


It's music for a better cause than "Skyfall," but I like the latter song and especially the performance better, even if "Before My Time" includes the line "keep calm and carry on."

No comments:

Post a Comment