Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Meyers and Colbert take closer looks at Marjorie Taylor Greene's permanent Twitter suspension and CNN's New Year's Eve party

I examined Marjorie Taylor Greene's personal account permanently banned from Twitter seriously yesterday, so it's time for me to laugh at it with the first comedy post of the new year. May my readers laugh along with me and the late-night talk show hosts.

I begin with Seth Meyers in Twitter Permanently Suspends Marjorie Taylor Greene's Personal Account: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at the COVID pandemic growing more widespread than ever as our democracy is on the brink.
Despite Greene's Twitter ban being the headline, Seth didn't start talking about it until nine minutes in. Instead, he began and ended his monologue with Andy Cohen ranting drunkenly about now former New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio. I missed that, so I'm glad Seth caught it for the sake of comedy.

So did Stephen Colbert in his first monologue of 2022, CNN Duped By Naughty Twitter Names On NYE | 187 Minutes Of Silence From President T****.

Andy Cohen's tipsy rant about NYC's mayor must have distracted CNN producers on New Year's Eve, when several Twitter pranksters managed to get their NSFW usernames displayed on screen. Elsewhere, more details are coming to light about why the former president stayed silent for over three hours as a mob of his supporters ransacked the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.
Stephen is right; blaming the bartender doesn't work as an excuse when you're also the bartender.

As for the political news, Stephen also mentioned Greene's permanent suspension from Twitter, which got a big cheer from the studio audience, and last year's attempted self-coup, the anniversary of which is this Thursday. I'll cover that, so stay tuned.

I conclude by noting that both Seth and Stephen were pessimistic about 2022. After the past two years, I don't blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment