Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Nablopomo for January: Energy


Happy New Year!  What's the theme for the first month of 2013?
ENERGY

It's the first month of a new year, and it's time to get energized. This month, we'd like you to think of ways that you're going to gather energy to use throughout the year as well as stave off any energy drains by realizing what is taking away from your productivity. Of course, we'll also be doing a lot of daydreaming about superhuman powers -- for instance, the ability to never sleep... would you take it if it also meant the chance removed to ever dream? -- and how well we'd do with an extended power outage.
...
So start thinking about how to best utilize your energy and ways you can change the world in 2013.
Based on the description above and the prompts, the theme refers more to motivation and inspiration than it does to energy as I use the term on this blog.  Take today's prompt, for example. "From where do you draw your energy?"  When it comes to motivation and inspiration, it's my love of knowledge and teaching that knowledge so that people can improve their lives, along with my intense desire to perform and be appreciated.  But that's not how I'm going to treat this theme.  Instead, I'll take the part about "how well we'd do with an extended power outage" and run with it.

When I blog about energy this month, I'll write about how many calories of food I metabolize, how many BTUs of natural gas is burned on my behalf to heat my house, heat the water I use, and cook my food, how many gallons of gasoline and diesel move me and all the things I need to where I need them, and how much dirty coal and Uranium-235 it takes to keep the lights on, refrigerate my food and drink, and run all the electronics.  On top of that, where does all of this come from, how much does it cost, including all the hidden environmental and human costs, and what happens to all the waste that is produced.  Finally, is there a better way and, if so, how can we get there?

Of course, I'm subverting the monthly theme to mean what I want it to mean, and what I do here anyway, except in a more intense form than usual.  But that's OK.  As the theme description always says:
The theme and writing prompts, as always, are there as a guide if you want some structure to your month, though you can always sign up for NaBloPoMo and chart your own path.
...
NaBloPoMo is what you make of it. At its core, all you need to do is post daily on your blog. The point of NaBloPoMo is not to be restricted by the theme, but instead to either take it or leave it. If you'll do better blogging every day based on what's happening in your world, throw aside the daily prompts.
Fair enough, although I had enough fun subverting today's prompt that I might just do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment