Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Trump is Penguin for President


My wife watched Donald Trump's announcement that he was running for the Republican nomination for President yesterday and remarked that he reminded her of The Penguin running for Mayor of Gotham City.  Don't just take my word for it.  See for yourself.  First, watch Batman vs. The Penguin: The Debate.



Obviously, the Penguin is a Republican.

Now, Donald Trump's best lines during his 2016 speech from CNN.

Donald Trump announced he is running for president; here are some of the best lines from his speech.
I agree with my wife.  Trump is indeed a cartoonish figure.  One of the guests on "Hardball" called him a working stiff's idea of how a rich man should look and act.  That's right up there with Ezra Klein and Paul Krugman calling Newt Gingrich "a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like."

And, yes, The Penguin is a Republican.

3 comments:

  1. I left the following comment on the Batman vs. Penguin video on YouTube: "Donald Trump is running for President. He's as much of a cartoon of a rich man as Penguin is." That sums up what I think of both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And obviously Batman in that clip (cheers for reaching back into the 1960s show!) is a modern wimpy Democrat, because he comes out mush-mouthed in opposition to outrageous perfidy. If only Amerika had a two-party system! I hope Bernie Sanders stirs up some trouble. I sent him $100 (got a lot of spare American money sitting around down here). I don't bother to vote any more (have you read about how absentee ballots are usually NOT counted?) but at least with cash in an envelope, I can feel like I'm part of the game.

    But what I was really writing to say is in response to your mention in Kunstler's June 22 column of Trump's misappropriation of "Rockin' in the Free World." None of the commentary I've read about that brouhaha said what a stupid choice of songs it was. Neil Young's lyric were a ripping takedown of the cruelty of Amerikan society -- especially the plutocratic Bush I. "A thousand points of light for the homeless man"? "A kinder gentler machine gun hand"? Ba-fucking-zinga! It was perfectly clear at the time that he was tearing strips off the Preznit, which is why I went out and bought the album, back when they still made those things out of vinyl. And Tchump steals THAT for his intro theme? Do none of these people listen to the words, instead of the catch-phrase in the chorus? It's just like Ronald Ray-gun swiping Springsteen's "Born in the USA" without noticing the lyrics about dying factory towns and pointless losses in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another clip from the 1960's TV show that makes your point even better than the one I used. I think I'll recycle your comment into an entry just so that I can embed it.

      As for donating to U.S. candidates, unless you are still an American citizen, I recommend that you don't donate to them. It's illegal for them to receive money from foreign donors. As a director of the Coffee Party, I'm sensitive to issues of money in politics.

      Delete