Sunday, August 16, 2015

Science Fiction and Fantasy at the 2015 Teen Choice Awards


One of the reasons I dedicated Sundays to entertainment is because entertainment awards shows are usually held on the first day of the week, and I'm a sucker for awards shows.  Today is no exception, as the Teen Choice Awards are being presented tonight.  Follow over the jump for this year's nominees in Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Adventure movies and television, courtesy of the International Business Times.

Movies first, beginning with Science Fiction and Fantasy.
Choice Movie: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

    "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
    "Cinderella"
    "Mad Max: Fury Road"
    "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies"
    "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1"
    "Tomorrowland"
I've mentioned five of these movies during the past year, including entries dedicated to Age of Ultron, Mad Max, and Tomorrowland, hype and a music nomination for Mockingjay, and a music nomination for an earlier installment of The Hobbit.  It should come as no surprise that I have an opinion about which one of these movies should win--"Mad Max: Fury Road."  That's the best science fiction film of the lot.  That written, it won't win tonight.  Instead, it will probably be either "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" or "Avengers: Age of Ultron," most likely the former based on history.  Katniss Everdeen's fangirls will swamp everyone else.  I'll have to wait until the adults weigh in at other awards shows for Mad Max to get its day.
Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

    Channing Tatum- "Jupiter Rising"
    Chris Hemsworth - "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
    George Clooney - "Tomorrowland"
    Josh Hutcherson - "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1"
    Liam Hemsworth - "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1"
    Robert Downey, Jr. - "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
The opportunities to split votes in this category astound me, as not only are actors from the same movie nominated twice, but brothers are nominated from the same two movies.  In that case, the votes might go to the actors who don't have to worry about divided fandoms, Channing Tatum and George Clooney.  I'd pick either Clooney or Robert Downey, Jr., but I'm up against an electorate of teenagers.  They might go for Tatum even if they haven't watched the movie on sheer sex appeal.
Choice Movie Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

    Mila Kunis - "Jupiter Rising"
    Britt Robertson - "Tomorrowland"
    Jennifer Lawrence - "The Hunger Games: The Mockingjay Part 1"
    Lily James - "Cinderella"
    Scarlett Johansson - "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
    Mackenzie Foy- "Interstellar"
It's telling that the leads for "Jupiter Rising" were nominated but not the movie itself.  Both Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum delivered competent performances, but the movie itself was a mess.  Too bad, as it was trying to make some serious points in the middle of the action.  Neither will win.  Instead, I think the award will go to Jennifer Lawrence for the reasons I mentioned above.  She wouldn't be my choice.  I'd vote for Mackenzie Foy in "Interstellar," even though she may not have even been the best actress in the movie.  That would be Anne Hathaway.

Next, a category that includes films that I'd put in Science Fiction.
Choice Movie: Action/Adventure

    "Furious 7"
    "Insurgent"
    "Kingsman: The Secret Service"
    "San Andreas"
    "The Maze Runner"
    "Tracers"
The "Divergent" series movies belong here while "The Hunger Games" movies are in Science Fiction?  I suppose that's good for differentiating the movies and spreading out the awards, but it's not going to affect how I classify the "Divergent" series or "The Maze Runner" movies either.  Between the two, I'd pick "Insurgent."  However, I expect "Furious 7" to win tonight.  It's better than "San Andreas" winning.  I'd vote against it on bad science alone.
Choice Movie Actor: Action/Adventure

    Ansel Elgort - "Insurgent"
    Dylan O'Brien- "The Maze Runner"
    Paul Walker - "Furious 7"
    Taylor Lautner- "Tracers"
    Theo James - "Insurgent"
    Vin Diesel - "Furious 7"
Just like the actor category for science fiction and fantasy, there is too much opportunity for vote splitting here to make me comfortable.  I'd vote for Vin Diesel, but I'm not a teenager.  I suspect Taylor Lautner might get this one instead.
Choice Movie Actress: Action/Adventure

    Alexandra Daddario - "San Andreas"
    Jordana Brewster - "Furious 7"
    Kaya Scodelario - "The Maze Runner"
    Maggie Grace - "Taken 3"
    Michelle Rodriguez - "Furious 7"
    Shailene Woodley - "Insurgent"
Slailene Woodley won last year and I'd put both my money and my vote on her winning again.  Score one for me agreeing with the teens if that happens.

Now time for a bonus round of movie nominations.
Choice Movie Villain

    Rose Byrne - “Spy”
    Vincent D' Onofrio - “Jurassic World”
    Jason Statham - “Furious 7”
    Donald Sutherland - “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1”
    Bella Thorne - “The Duff”
    Kate Winslet - “Insurgent”
Both Donald Sutherland and the role he plays are more inherently villainous than Kate Winslet and her character, but I'd prefer Winslet wins this year.  Sutherland has won before and has another shot.  Based on the movie, Winslet doesn't have another shot, pun intended.  Besides, it would be a rare win for "Divergent" over "The Hunger Games."
Choice Movie Scene Stealer

    Adam DeVine - “Pitch Perfect 2”
    Chris Evans - “Avengers: Age of Ultron”
    Nicholas Hoult - “Mad Max: Fury Road”
    Hailee Steinfeld - “Pitch Perfect 2”
    Miles Teller - “Insurgent”
    The Green Bay Packers - “Pitch Perfect 2”
In this battle between sci fi and (one) comedy, I suspect someone from "Pitch Perfect 2" will win out.  Otherwise, I'd vote for Nicholas Hoult--"What a lovely day!"
Choice Movie Breakout Star

    Thomas Brodie-Sangster - “The Maze Runner”
    Cara Delevingne - “Paper Towns”
    Scott Eastwood - “The Longest Ride”
    Taron Egerton - “Kingsman: The Secret Service”
    Elizabeth Olsen - “Avengers: Age of Ultron”
    Thomas Mann - “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl”
I'd give it to Thomas Brodie-Sangster over Elizabeth Olsen, but I suspect neither will win.

Now for the movies that might show up again next year.
Choice Summer Movie

    “Inside Out”
    “Jurassic World”
    “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl”
    “Paper Towns”
    “Spy”
    “Terminator Genisys”
I'd vote for "Jurassic World" based on box office and my interest in the subject, but I wouldn't be surprised if "Inside Out" wins instead.  It is a young set of voters, after all.

Choice Summer Movie Star: Male

    Paul Rudd - “Ant Man”
    Channing Tatum - “Magic Mike XXL”
    Chris Pratt - “Jurassic World”
    Nat Wolff - “Paper Towns”
    Adam Sandler - “Pixels”
    Dwayne Johnson - “San Andreas”
I'd vote for Chris Pratt, but Channing Tatum might get a second award out of this category.
Choice Summer Movie Star: Female

    Emilia Clarke - “Terminator Genisys”
    Cara Delevingne - “Paper Towns”
    Bryce Dallas Howard - “Jurassic World”
    Evangeline Lilly - “Ant Man”
    Melissa McCarthy - “Spy”
    Amy Poehler as Joy - “Inside Out”
This is a better field than the one for summer movie star (Adam Sandler?  Really?) so my choice is harder.  I'd pick Amy Poehler for Joy to win, even if my vote would go for Evangeline Lilly as the best actress overall.  Bryce Dallas Howard didn't have an appealing role.

Next, TV shows.
Choice TV Show: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

    "Arrow"
    "Once Upon a Time"
    "Sleepy Hollow"
    "The Vampire Diaries"
    "The 100"
    "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
My wife and I are watching three of these shows, "Once Upon a Time," "Sleepy Hollow," and "The 100," and we agree that "Sleepy Hollow" is the best of the bunch.  Here's to hoping the voters agree.
Choice TV Actor: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

    Bob Morley - "The 100"
    Ian Somerhalder - "The Vampire Diaries"
    Jared Padalecki  - "Supernatural"
    Joseph Morgan - "The Originals"
    Paul Wesley - "The Vampire Diaries"
    Stephen Amell - "Arrow"
I'd put my money and my vote on Jared Padlecki out of this bunch, but I suspect Amell could win instead.
Choice TV Actress: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

    Candice Accola - "The Vampire Diaries"
    Danielle Panabaker - "The Flash"
    Eliza Taylor - "The 100"
    Emily Bett Rickards - "Arrow"
    Jennifer Morrison - "Once Upon A Time"
    Nina Dobrev - "The Vampire Diaries"
I'd vote for Jennifer Morrison, but the younger voters might like Eliza Taylor instead.
Choice TV: Animated Show

    "Adventure Time"
    "Family Guy"
    "Gravity Falls"
    "The Regular Show"
    "The Simpsons"
    "Star Wars Rebels"
I'd put my money on "The Simpsons," but I'd vote for "Star Wars Rebels."
Choice TV Villain

    "A" - “Pretty Little Liars”
    Tom Cavanagh - “The Flash”
    The Dread Doctors - “Teen Wolf”
    Terrence Howard - “Empire”
    Matt Nable - “Arrow”
    Chris Wood - “The Vampire Diaries”
Drama will win this with Terrence Howard.  He also made a great, if short-lived, villain in "Wayward Pines," so he's a sci-fi bad guy as well.
Choice TV: Scene Stealer

    Trai Byers - “Empire”
    Kat Graham - “The Vampire Diaries”
    Dylan O'Brien - “Teen Wolf”
    Sasha Pieterse - “Pretty Little Liars”
    Bella Thorne - “Scream”
    Ashley Tisdale - “Young & Hungry”
"Empire" was the breakout show, so I pick another actor from the series.
Choice TV: Breakout Star

    Grant Gustin - “The Flash”
    Bryshere “Yazz” Gray - “Empire”
    Candice Patton - “The Flash”
    Gina Rodriguez - “Jane The Virgin”
    Yara Shahidi - “Black-ish”
    Jussie Smollett - “Empire”
I'd vote for Gina Rodriguez, but one of the two performers from "Empire" will win.
Choice TV: Breakout Show

    “Becoming Us”
    “Black-ish”
    “Empire”
    “iZombie”
    “Jane The Virgin”
    “Younger”
Again, "Empire" will win, even if though I'd vote for "Jane The Virgin" over it and "iZombie."
Choice Summer TV Show

    “Baby Daddy”
    “Chasing Life”
    “Faking it”
    “Scream”
    “So You Think You Can Dance”
    “Teen Wolf”
Even though there are two horror shows on the list, I'm voting for the reality competition show.  Sometimes my age shows.
Choice Summer TV Star: Male

    Tyler Blackburn - “Pretty Little Liars “
    David Lambert - “The Fosters”
    Ross Lynch - “Teen Beach 2”
    Tyler Posey - “Teen Wolf”
    Gregg Sulkin - “Faking It”
    Mike Vogel - “Under The Dome”
Out of loyalty, I'm voting for "Under The Dome," which deserves an entry of its own.  Still, I suspect the actor from "Pretty Little Liars" will get it instead.
Choice Summer TV Star: Female

    Troian Bellisario - “Pretty Little Liars”
    Ashley Benson - “Pretty Little Liars”
    Laura Marano - “Austin & Ally”
    Maia Mitchell - “Teen Beach 2”
    Willa Fitzgerald - “Scream”
    Italia Ricci - “Chasing Life”
I'd abstain, but I think one of the two actresses from "Pretty Little Liars" will get it.  Forget the horror show.

This concludes the "involved analysis" I promised in 'Star Wars' alignment charts.  Stay tuned for the monthy meta.

3 comments:

  1. Movie
    Movie
    Movie
    TV
    TV
    TV

    Don't people read any more? Or maybe the format just isn't conducive to awards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the format is conducive to awards. Science fiction literature is rewarded at the Hugo Awards, which will be presented this week. Unfortunately, they're a big political mess, which led We Hunted The Mammoth to stage the Serious Kitten Awards in protest.

      The real problem is that books and authors don't make for commercially successful TV. Movies, TV, and movies do. If you want to watch book awards, turn on C-SPAN.

      Delete
    2. To quote Rick Perry, "oops." Make that "movies, TV, and music."

      Delete