Sunday, July 15, 2018

Drink to France in the World Cup on National Ice Cream Day 2018

While I'm done with drum corps and booze for the holiday, I'm not done with celebrating things French, as France plays Croatia in the World Cup.  More soccer!  Also, vive la France!
So I concluded Drink to a drum corps Bastille Day 2018 with the Santa Clara Vanguard and so I begin today's entry.

In a continuation of Vox explains the state of U.S. men's soccer plus how TV created the modern soccer ball, I present Why France produces the most World Cup players by Vox.

France has had the most native players and coaches in the last 4 World Cups… and their dominance has been on the rise. Players like Kylian Mbappe and Paul Pogba are the children of immigrants and the product of the French soccer academy system. French- born players have played for Togo, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Argentina, Portugal, and many more.
I'm lucky Vox produced this video.  Not only does it work for today's championship match, it nearly makes up for my not posting the "more humorous, if equally informative, compilation of John Oliver videos on FIFA and the World Cup" I promised two weeks ago.  I'll make up for not doing so by writing about the nine Emmy nominations "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" just earned.  Stay tuned for that after following me over the jump for an observance of National Ice Cream Day.

National Ice Cream Day is observed each year on the 3rd Sunday in July and is a part of National Ice Cream Month.  This day is a fun celebration enjoyed with a bowl, cup or cone filled with your favorite flavor of ice cream.
What happens when I combine a celebration of France with a celebration of ice cream?  Champagne floats!

I begin with Tipsy Bartender's Raspberry Pink Champagne Float.

1 oz. (30ml) Raspberry Vodka
3 oz. (90ml) Pink Champagne
2 Scoops Raspberry Sorbet
Fresh Raspberries
PREPARATION
1. Place two scoops of raspberry sorbet in wine glass.
2. Add raspberry vodka and top with pink champagne.
3. Add fresh raspberries as garnish. Enjoy!
As French as sorbet in champagne is, it's not ice cream.  Here's Chinet (yes, the paper plate maker) with Strawberries and Cream Champagne Floats.

On a hot summer night, fancy-up your ice cream float with fruit and champagne.
Now, that's more like it!  Toast the French national team with either one of these as it takes on Croatia, which begins just over an hour after I post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment