Tuesday, July 3, 2018

'Twin Peaks' ties 'Better Call Saul' at the Saturn Awards


I told my readers to "Stay tuned" as "I'll be back with the television and home entertainment winners tomorrow" at the end of 'Black Panther' leads 'The Last Jedi' at the Saturn Awards.  As The Gorillaz sing "tomorrow comes today," so it's time for me to follow through.

As I did yesterday, I'll let Variety tell the tale.
In the TV categories, Vince Gilligan’s “Better Call Saul” won Saturns for best action/adventure/thriller series, best supporting actress (Rhea Seehorn), and best supporting actor (Michael McKean). “Twin Peaks” nabbed best presentation on TV, best guest star (David Lynch), and best TV actor (Kyle MacLachlan). “Star Trek: Discovery” was honored with best new media series and best TV actress for Sonequa Martin-Green, and “The Walking Dead” won for best horror TV and best younger actor for Chandler Riggs.
While I foresaw a big night for "Twin Peaks," I didn't foresee it happening exactly this way.  I also didn't expect "Better Call Saul" to do well at all.  I should have.

Both shows were examples of the Saturn Awards electorate voting like entertainment professionals.  Of the Best Actor on a Television Series nominees, I noted that "the highest rated of them was MacLachlan, who was nominated by four awards shows, so that would make him the establishment candidate among all the actual nominees."  For the Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series nominees, I observed that "McKean had the highest score with nominations from the Critics' Choice Awards, Gold Derby Awards, and Satellite Awards.  If I were definitely vot[ing] the establishment choice, it would be for him."  While I didn't pick Lynch as the professional favorite (that was Bryan Cranston), I did list him among the likely professional choices for Best Guest-Starring Performance on Television, so his win fit the pattern as well.

As for the rest of the multi-award-winning television programs, I correctly forecast that "The Walking Dead" would win both Best Horror Television Series and Best Younger Actor on a Television Series and that "Star Trek: Discovery" would win Best New Media Television Series, but not Sonequa Martin-Green winning Best Actress on a Television Series.  Three out of four isn't bad.

Out of all the multi-award-winning television programs, I found representatives of only one in an interview by Red Carpet Report on Mingle Media TV: Kenneth Mitchell & Mary Chieffo #StarTrek interviewed at the 44th #SaturnAwards Red Carpet


In case my readers don't recognize the actors, it's because they play Klingons.  It's difficult to see the person beneath the prosthetic make-up.

Now for the shows that won didn't win any acting awards.
Best science fiction series went to “The Orville,” best fantasy series to “Outlander,” best superhero adaptation series to “The Flash,” best animated TV series to “Star Wars Rebels,” and best new media superhero series to “Marvel’s The Punisher.”
I expected most of these and should not have considered "The Flash" winning to be a surprise.  After all, my entry on the superhero TV nominees read 'Supergirl' vs. 'The Flash' (again) and 'The Punisher' vs. 'The Defenders' at the Saturn Awards.

Red Carpet Report on Mingle Media TV caught representatives of two of the winning shows, "Outlander" and "Star Wars Rebels."  I begin with Diana Gabaldon #Outlander interviewed at the 44th Annual Saturn Awards Red Carpet #SaturnAwards.


I'm glad the author of the books was there to accept the third consecutive award for the television adaption of her series on her first visit to the Saturn Awards.

The final interview of a winner is a repeat appearance from last year's ceremony, Vanessa Marshall #StarWarsRebels interviewed at 44th Annual Saturn Awards Red Carpet #SaturnAwards.


Congratulations to all the winners!  Speaking of which Variety actually reported all of the television winners.  Considering that they did not mention the winners of seven movie awards in the article, that's an accomplishment.

On the other hand, they did not discuss the winners of the home entertainment categories, but they did list them.
Best DVD/BD Release: Dave Made a Maze

Best DVD/BD Classic Film Release: Lifeboat

Best DVD/BD Collection Release: Dracula Complete Legacy Collection

Best DVD/BD Television Series Release: American Gods (Season 1)

Best DVD/BD Special Edition: Night of the Living Dead (Criterion Collection)
Follow over the jump to see how my predictions fared against reality.  Let's see if I can improve on my 14 out of 22 record for the movie winners.

From My Saturn Award votes and predictions for 2018, along with the results and my scoring of them.
TELEVISION AWARDS
Best Action / Thriller Television Series
My vote: The Alienist. Who is likely to win: Riverdale.
Complete miss.  I did not expect the Saturn electorate to go for a show that the professionals would have picked out of the field.
Best Actor on a Television Series
My vote: Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead). Who is likely to win: Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead) or Bruce Campbell (Ash vs. The Evil Dead).
Another complete miss, although I should have known better, as I wrote above about MacLachlan being the professional choice.
Best Actress on a Television Series
My vote: Caitriona Balfe (Outlander). Who is likely to win: Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) or Melissa Benoist (Supergirl).
A third consecultive miss.  Martin-Green had no track record of nominations before this year's Saturn Awards, so I didn't expect her.  This one I chalk up to the power of fandom.
Best Animated Series or Film on Television
My vote: Star Wars: Rebels. Who is likely to win: Star Wars: Rebels or Rick and Morty.
My first hit of the day.
Best Fantasy Television Series
My vote: The Good Place. Who is likely to win: Outlander.
Another hit.
Best Guest Performance on a Television Series
My vote: Michelle Yeoh (Star Trek: Discovery). Who is likely to win: Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Walking Dead).
Another miss, although not as unexpected as I may have thought.
Best Horror Television Series
My vote: The Walking Dead. Who is likely to win: The Walking Dead.
A hit.
Best New Media Superhero
My vote: The Tick. Who is likely to win: Marvel's The Punisher.
Another hit.
Best New Media Television Series
My vote: Stranger Things. Who is likely to win: Star Trek: Discovery.
Third hit in a row.
Best Presentation on Television
My vote: Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time. Who is likely to win: Twin Peaks: The Return.
Fourth hit in a row.
Best Science Fiction Television Series
My vote: Colony. Who is likely to win: The Orville or The X-Files.
Fifth consecutive hit.
Best Superhero Adaptation Television Series
My vote: Gotham. Who is likely to win: Supergirl.
Whiff.  I was overconfident about "Supergirl" repeating and should have given "The Flash" a shot.
Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series
My vote: Khary Payton. Who is likely to win: Khary Payton (Doug Jones, Michael McKean, or Evan Peters would win with more professionals voting).
A miss, although not an unexpected one, as I wrote above.  By the way, I tweeted this predicition and Doug Jones himself liked it.
Best Supporting Actress on a Television Series
My vote: Dakota Fanning. Who is likely to win: Candice Patton.
Rhea Seehorn was a surprise, but not a bad choice at all.  Still, a miss on my part.
Best Younger Actor on a Television Series
My vote: Millie Bobby Brown. Who is likely to win: Chandler Riggs.
Finally, a hit.
HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Best DVD / BD Classic Film Release
My vote: Lifeboat. Who is likely to win: The Old Dark House.
My choice won, so I'll count it as a hit.
Best DVD / BD Collection
My vote: Christopher Nolan 4K Collection. Who is likely to win: Dracula, Mummy, or Abbott and Costello.
Dracula won, so I'll say I knicked the target.
Best DVD / BD Release
My vote: Colossal. Who is likely to win: Don't know, maybe 2:22 or Cult of Chucky.
Miss.  I really had no clue.
Best DVD / BD Special Edition Release
My vote: Lost Horizon. Who is likely to win: Night of the Living Dead.
Called it.
Best DVD / BD Television Release
My vote: Westworld. Who is likely to win: Twin Peaks.
Miss, although I'm happy the television adaptation of the Hugo winning "American Gods" earned at least one award last week.

According to my count, I called 10 out of 20.  Adding that to the 14 out of 22, that's 24 out of 42 or 57.1%.  That's not nearly as impressive as my Oscar predictions, where I called 15.5 out of 19 categories or 81.6%, but it's better than random chance, which would have been 7 out of 42 or 16.7%.  I'll take it.

That concludes my coverage of the 2018 Saturn Awards.  Stay tuned for a 4th of July entry tomorrow.

Previous entries about the 2018 Saturn Awards:

No comments:

Post a Comment