Thursday, April 10, 2014

Social media for the second and third year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News


I concluded Stories I tell my students from the third year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News with an optimistic program note.
I have one more retrospective to write about the third year of this blog and it's about social media.  After that, I have one or two retrospectives remaining to mop up the second year and then I'm done until next March.  I see a light at the end of this tunnel, and it's not an onrushing train!
This year's top entry about social media was We reveal ourselves on Facebook posted on March 22, 2013 with 255 page views, good enough for 20th place among all the entries posted during the third year of this blog.  I didn't bother to promote it at Kunstler's blog when it was new, instead concentrating on all the other entries for the week.  Instead, I waited until I posted in the comments to the first entry using the new format.
“we, in effect, already spy on ourselves and “snitch” on others on Facebook”

Notice that no one, so far, has entered in their Facebook URLs, not even Aimlow Joe, who put in something, but it wasn’t valid. I’m tempted to do so just to be the first here, but I’ll pass. I don’t want to have a first here that badly.

Speaking of which, we reveal more than we know about ourselves based on our Facebook activity.
That effort did get at least 100 page views to the entry.  As for the open commenting system that included Facebook and Twitter, it was replaced by one that required registration within a month.   So much for revealing our social media to each other!

Follow over the jump for the top social media entry of the second year of the blog.

The twelfth most read entry posted during the second year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News was Social media shaping policy, posted September 29, 2012, with 264 page views as of March 21, 2013.  It currently has 289 page views, so it's had some readers over the past year, but not many.  I barely mentioned it over at Kunstler's blog that week, writing "Other topics this past week include the latest on the gas price rollercoaster, how anticipating Peak Oil changed what care I bought and where I lived, and recent news on space, social media, and the Nobel Prizes."  That wasn't enough to explain the entry's popularity.  I guess I have to chalk that up to social media and web search, but that's just guessing.

That's all for the entries from the the third year of the blog for this year.  Maybe next year I'll describe how one or more broke out of the pack to get into the top ten list, but that's next year's problem.  On to finishing my retrospectives of the popular entries for the second year!

Previous entries in this series.
Entries in the previous series:


No comments:

Post a Comment