Sunday, September 12, 2021

'John Lewis: Good Trouble' earned 3 nominations at the 2021 News and Documentary Emmy Awards


I told my readers to "Stay tuned" as "I plan on looking at the News and Documentary Emmy Awards nominees for tomorrow's Sunday entertainment feature" to conclude Gold Derby predicts the Creative Arts Emmy Awards plus animation and drama guest acting nominees. So, for the first time since Sandy Hook Promise and Discovery Channel's Shark Week win Emmy Awards for commercials, I'm returning to the other Emmy Awards to comment on the three nominations for "John Lewis: Good Trouble," Outstanding Historical Documentary, Outstanding Research: Documentary, and Outstanding Lighting Direction and Scenic Design, in that order.
Outstanding Historical Documentary

Challenger: The Final Flight (Netflix)

CNN Films (CNN)
John Lewis: Good Trouble

FRONTLINE (PBS)
Once Upon A Time In Iraq

HBO Documentary Films (HBO)
The Art of Political Murder

HBO Documentary Films (HBO)
Bully. Coward. Victim. The Story of Roy Cohn
While "John Lewis: Good Trouble" has the most nominations of any entry in this category, it may not be the favorite. The other nomination for "Once Upon A Time In Iraq" is for Best Documentary, which might give it the edge with voters and therefore makes it my co-favorite to win this category. "Challenger: The Final Flight" also has two nominations, this one and Outstanding Editing: Documentary. The two nominees from HBO Documentary Films, "The Art of Political Murder" and "Bully. Coward. Victim. The Story of Roy Cohn," only have this one nomination.

Outstanding Research: Documentary

Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché (Turner Classic Movies)

Be Water (ESPN)

CNN Films (CNN)
John Lewis: Good Trouble

Independent Lens (PBS)
Feels Good Man

The Last Ice (National Geographic)
I'm glad to see that the News and Documentary Emmy Awards voters thought that "John Lewis: Good Trouble" showed its work. That and its other two nominations might not be enough for it to win this award. "The Last Ice" also has three nominations, including Outstanding Nature Documentary, where I think it's the favorite, and Outstanding Cinematography: Documentary. Three of the other nominees in that category are also nature documentaries, which doesn't surprise me; nature documentaries tend to be beautifully photographed. Finally, while all the rest of the other nominees have only this nomination, I want to brag about one of them. I predicted that "Feels Good Man" will earn at least one nomination for a News and Documentary Emmy Award and that happened in this category. I feel vindicated, even if the nomination wasn't for Outstanding Arts and Culture Documentary as I expected.

Outstanding Lighting Direction and Scenic Design

America’s Hidden Stories (Smithsonian Channel)
Hitler’s US Election Plot

CNN Films (CNN)
John Lewis: Good Trouble

Election Coverage (MSNBC)

HBO Documentary Films (HBO)
Alabama Snake

The News with Shepard Smith (CNBC)
This category recognizes both documentaries and news reports. While "John Lewis: Good Trouble" is the only nominee with multiple nominations, I don't know if it's enough for it to win this category. I was very impressed with MSNBC's Election Coverage and CNBC has worked very hard to make "The News with Shepard Smith" a quality show.

Follow over the jump for bonus coverage of "The Way I See It" thanks to the promotional graphic from Twitter I used as the preview image for this entry.

Outstanding Politics and Government Documentary

Kingdom of Silence (Showtime)

POV (PBS)
Advocate


POV (PBS)
Softie

The Perfect Weapon (HBO)

The Way I See It (MSNBC)
While "The Perfect Weapon" really impressed my wife and me, it's not my pick to win this category. "Advocate" is, as it also earned a nomination for Best Documentary. As I wrote about "Once Upon A Time In Iraq," that might give it the edge with voters.

Speaking of Best Documentary, my favorite to win that category is "Belly of the Beast" on PBS's Independent Lens. It has a total of four nominations, Outstanding Current Affairs Documentary, Outstanding Direction: Documentary, and Outstanding Editing: Documentary in addition to Best Documentary. That's the most of any single documentary, which makes it a good candidate for my next installment on this year's News and Documentary Emmy Awards. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment