Saturday, September 11, 2021

Gold Derby predicts the Creative Arts Emmy Awards plus animation and drama guest acting nominees

I know that I wrote I "have run out of time" because "the first night of the Creative Arts Emmy Awards" is tonight, so "Creative Arts Emmy winners should be next in the series" at the end of 'Oslo' earned two nominations at the 2021 Emmy Awards, but I realized last night that I really wanted to write this year's version of Star Trek vs. Star Wars — futuristic politics and government at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards. Fortunately, Gold Derby uploaded Emmy Experts slugfest: Final Creative Arts predictions (and some bonus Oscar chatter) yesterday, which gave me an opportunity to take that bite at the apple without overexerting myself after writing 9/11 memorials on the 20th anniversary. Watch to see if they agreed with all the predictions I made over the past two months.

There's not one, not two but three Emmy ceremonies this weekend, Sept 11-12, with Creative Arts honors being handed out on Saturday (one ceremony) and Sunday (two). Gold Derby editors and Experts Christopher Rosen and Joyce Eng are back to make their final(ish) Creative Arts predictions -- and also discuss the Oscar race!
Those are the expert predictions for tonight and tomorrow, most of which agree with mine, although they disagree with me about "Oslo" being the favorite; they think "Sylvie's Love" is instead. That's reasonable, but I'm not convinced that "Hamilton" will fail as badly as they do, although we won't find out until a week from tomorrow because so many of its categories will be awarded at the 73rd Primetime Emmy Awards. Follow over the jump for the acting and show nominations for speculative fiction programs that will be awarded at tonight's and tomorrow's ceremonies.

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series

Don Cheadle as Colonel James Rhodes / War Machine on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Episode: "New World Order") (Disney+)
Charles Dance as Lord Mountbatten on The Crown (Episode: "Gold Stick") (Netflix)
Timothy Olyphant as Cobb Vanth on The Mandalorian (Episode: "Chapter 9: The Marshal") (Disney+)
Courtney B. Vance as George Freeman on Lovecraft Country (Episode: "Whitey's on the Moon") (HBO)
Carl Weathers as Greef Karga on The Mandalorian (Episode: "Chapter 12: The Siege") (Disney+)
Gold Derby thinks that Charles Dance as Lord Mountbatten on "The Crown" is the favorite and I'm not going to disagree, although I'd be disappointed because all the rest of the nominees are from speculative fiction series. The expert pick to upset Dance is Timothy Olyphant on "The Mandalorian" and I think that would be mine, too.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series

Alexis Bledel as Emily on The Handmaid's Tale (Episode: "Testimony") (Hulu)
Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II on The Crown (Episode: "48:1") (Netflix)
McKenna Grace as Esther Keyes on The Handmaid's Tale (Episode: "Pigs") (Hulu)
Sophie Okonedo as Charlotte Wells on Ratched (Episode: "The Dance") (Netflix)
Phylicia Rashad as Carol "Mama C" Clarke on This Is Us (Episode: "I've Got This") (NBC)
On the other hand, the experts and I seem to agree that previous winner Alexis Bledel is the favorite for "The Handmaid's Tale." If she's a victim of vote splitting with McKenna Grace, then Claire Foy could sneak by, giving "The Crown" a chance to sweep the drama acting categories. Oh, my, "The Crown" vs. "The Handmaid's Tale" — I'll keep that in mind for the title of my post about the drama nominees at the main Emmy Awards.

As for voice acting and animation, I'm rooting for Maya Rudolph to repeat for "Big Mouth" as well as for the series itself even though I think it would be fun for Stacey Abrams to win instead. I'll also go along with "Love, Death & Robots" — it's won four Emmys already for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation, a juried category.

That's it for the Creative Arts Emmy Awards until Monday at the earliest. I plan on looking at the News and Documentary Emmy Awards nominees for tomorrow's Sunday entertainment feature. Stay tuned.

Previous posts in this series

No comments:

Post a Comment