What is today's prompt?
Friday, April 12, 2013Here's what I use for myself and teach my students to live more sustainably, the Sustainability Dozen. Since I've identified three natural resources I'm concerned about as energy, food, and water, I'm going to organize each item by these categories. It turns out that all twelve pieces of advice fit under three categories fairly easily.
How do you interpret the words "live simply?"
- Walk, bike, or use public transportation whenever possible.
- Drive an energy-efficient vehicle.
- Reduce car use.
- Insulate your house and plug air leaks.
- Use energy-efficient heating and cooling systems, lights, and appliances.
- Use renewable energy, especially wind and direct solar.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Reduce meat consumption.
- Buy locally grown food.
- Buy or grow organic food.
- Don't use pesicides on your garden or lawn.
- Use water-saving appliances and irrigation methods.
Post a Comment