Sunday, April 21, 2013

Two videos for my class: Sewage treatment and drugs in the water

I'm parking these two videos here so that I can find them tomorrow morning, when I plan on showing them to my Environmental Science class as part of a lecture about sewage treatment and water pollution.  The two of them go very well together, as the first one describes how sewage treatment works and eliminates the pollutants for which it was designed, while the second explains how there are just some pollutants that the same processes just don't touch and what can be done about it.

First, here is LCC Biology 120's virtual tour of a Sewage Treatment plant, from the same source as the virtual tour of a dairy barn that I used in Video tour of Michigan State University's farms.

A virtual field trip to a sewage treatment plant.
Next, here's Discovery News explaining How Drugs Pollute Our Drinking Water.

We expect our drinking water to be germ free, but what about drug free? You probably haven't given it much thought...but new research is showing our water is teeming with all kinds of drugs! Trace looks at what this is doing to our bodies and the environment.
...
"Although millions of people flush unused medications down the toilet and discharge them in bodily waste, sewage treatment plants and septic systems are not required to deal with such contaminants."
I hope my students enjoy them and don't mind back-to-back videos.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spammer, I'd let your unpaid ad stand, except that I show this entry to my students. They don't need to see it. Bye!

      Delete