Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Driving update for July 2013 for my car

My car's odometer rolled over another 1,000 miles today, this time to 217,000 miles.*  The last update noted that I rolled over 216,000 miles on April 19, 2013.  That's 61 days ago.  That means I drove 16.4 miles per day and 500.0 miles/month.  That's much higher than last month.**
Right on schedule, my car's odometer turned over 216,000 miles yesterday afternoon.  That means I drove 1,000 miles in 84 days for an average of 11.90 miles/day and 363.1 miles/month since January 25, 2013, an decrease of 0.15 miles/day and 4.4 miles/month over the 12.05 miles/day and 367.5 miles/month I drove between November and January.
This is the most I've driven in a month since October 2010, when I drove 630 miles/month and was still posting these updates to LiveJournal.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I drove 4.5 more miles/day and 132.5 miles/month more than I drove last month.  Part of it is that I have been driving a couple miles per workday to get food as the cafe where I teach closed down for the summer in the middle of the last week of June, but that's only about 50 miles at most.  It also was something I was doing last year at this time when I was only driving 10.3 miles/day and 311.4 miles/month and actually decrease my driving since the May 2012 update.  That doesn't work.  There were also days that I drove to the store instead of walking because of rain and thunderstorms.  There was also a relatively long trip to a meeting that was not part of my regular schedule.  Still, I'm surprised all that added up to more than 100 miles.

As for how I'm contributing to the trend, I'll be a good environmentalist and recycle one of the charts from Happy Motoring in the U.S. has peaked.


Looks like my mileage is increasing while the total miles driven is staying flat.  Then again, this chart only goes up to April.  I'll have to wait until September to see how the past two months of driving added to the total.

*Note that this is the update for my car.  My wife's car is within a few score miles of rolling over 85,000 miles, 1,000 miles more than the vehicle had in December 2012.  Expect a report for her car later this month.

**These numbers are wildly off.  I forgot an entire month of days.  As I calculated in the correction to this entry, the real numbers are 12.35 miles/day and 376.5 miles/month. Those numbers I can believe!  

No comments:

Post a Comment