Thursday, December 17, 2015

Obi-Wan Kenobi for President and Darth Vader beats Trump but not Clinton

Continuing on in the spirit of Darth Trump, I present the following from Ipsos-Reuters: Ipsos Calls 2016 Election for Obi Wan Kenobi.
New Poll Indicates that Star Wars Heroes and Villains Poll Closely to Actual Candidates
Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Washington, DC – In a new poll pitting characters from the Star Wars franchise against actual presidential candidates, Ipsos finds that the American public would prefer to elect the iconic Jedi Obi Wan Kenobi than any other challenger. Outside of the political realm, the Ipsos poll established that America’s favorite Star Wars character is Luke Skywalker, who captured 21% of respondents, followed closely by Han Solo, Yoda and Obi Wan Kenobi. The remainder of the poll pitted main Star Wars characters in hypothetical matchups with the frontrunners in the actual Presidential race, yielding some surprising results.

"Whether it's because of this week's release of Episode 7, or general disdain among Americans with their political system, this data suggests that the Jedi Order is vastly more popular than either the Republican or Democratic Party,” said Chris Jackson, Vice President at Ipsos Public Affairs. “As we have seen in much of the political data this year, our Republic is more fractured than in recent history. However, it seems that the force could ‘surround us and bind the universe together’.”

Other key highlights from the data:
  • In a head-to-head matchup among Millennials: Darth Vader (27%) would beat Donald Trump (18%)
  • In a head-to-head matchup among Millennials: Yoda (50%) would beat Hillary Clinton (26%) handily. Even among the general public, the margin is 41% for the candidate from Dagobah and 25% for Clinton
  • Minorities would prefer to elect the Sith Lord Darth Vader (26%) before Trump who captured only 13% of the minority vote
  • Clinton would fare better against Vader, winning this hypothetical matchup by 32% to 16% to the individual formerly known as Anakin Skywalker
  • Among the general public, Jedi Master Yoda would soundly beat the actual human Trump 42% to 24%
  • The well-quaffed Chewbacca would fall into a statistical dead heat with his hirsute counterpart Trump
  • Awareness of the force is quite strong with the US public given that 70% identified a favorite character. The remaining 30% of the population had no awareness or opinion
Luckily for the Presidential hopefuls, Star Wars took place a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away and none of the characters meet the Constitutional requirement of being born in the United States of America, potentially highlighting a weakness in the “birther” argument.
Here are Trump's head-to-head numbers in graphic form, courtesy of The Daily Mail.

At least Hillary Clinton can beat the Dark Lord of the Sith, even if she can't best the remaining members of the Jedi Order.

May The Force be with you.


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    1. I find your lack of creativity disappointing. Deleted.

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    1. Now I find your lack of creativity and appropriateness disturbing. Deleted.