Tuesday, November 28, 2017

For Giving Tuesday 2017, I recommend some of my favorite nonprofits


Happy #GivingTuesday 2017!


National Day Calendar has more on National Day of Giving/Giving Tuesday.
We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. Now, we have #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving back. On the Tuesday after Thanksgiving charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Quite simply, take advantage of all the holiday deals to add to your charitable giving. Combined with your family, friends, local and national organizations and through the power of social media, National Day of Giving can become a tradition worth passing on. Use #GivingTuesday to post on social media.

HISTORY

In 2012, 92nd Street Y in New York City created National Day of Giving to bring focus to the charitable season in the wake of the commercialized Black Friday and Cyber Monday. More commonly referred to as #GivingTuesday, National Day of Giving harnesses the power of social media to give back around the world and throughout the year.
Follow over the jump for the nonprofits I've given to and others I recommend.

The first nonprofit I recommend is Coffee Party USA.  This should come as no surprise to my longtime readers, as I've blogged a lot about the Coffee Party over the years.  I'm also one of its directors and officers (I'm currently the Interim Secretary as well as Director of Partnerships).  I am also a founding member.  I believe in its mission of "Building, nurturing and connecting communities to reclaim our government for the people."  It fits with my being a Crazy Eddie in other ways.  To become a member, click here.  To donate without becoming a member, click here.  The other directors and I will thank you, even if you won't get a tax deduction (Coffee Party USA is a 501c4 organization under the tax code).

The next nonprofit is the first of several charities (501c3 organizations) I'm recommending.  It's Washington Monthly, a nonprofit online newspaper that employs Martin Longman, who blogs at Booman Tribune as the eponymous BooMan.  He plugged the paper in both The NYTs Recommends the WaMo for Policy and Honoring What You Love.  I left the following comment at the former.
The donation button appears to work at Charity Navigator's page for the Washington Monthly Corporation, the parent organization for Washington Monthly.  Also remember that this Tuesday is the National Day of Giving AKA Giving Tuesday, the perfect occasion to donate to your favorite non-profits.
Another nonprofit news outlet I'm recommending is Grist, which I used to cite a lot early in this blog's history, particularly in the discontinued Silly Sustainability Saturday feature.  It has a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator along with a donation button at the top of the page.

The rest of the charities I'm suggesting are ones I've mentioned before under the Charity Navigator label and come from Charity Navigator's list of the 73 largest rated charities in Metro Detroit: American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, Detroit Zoological Association, Forgotten Harvest, Gleaners Community Food Bank, The Greening of Detroit, Helping Hand for Relief and Development, Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society, and Yad Ezra.  I've also mentioned the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra on this blog.  I have supported several of them and think they're all worthy of my readers' gifts.  May my readers agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment