Sunday, December 13, 2020

'Saturday Night Live' opens with a vaccine announcement and makes fun of election lawsuits and Space Force in a coronavirus holiday episode

I'm postponing the post I said I would write for today.
Stay tuned as I finish this series tomorrow with the Athlete of the Year and Entertainer of the Year for the Sunday entertainment feature.
I'll do that tomorrow. Today, I'm sharing another recap of Saturday Night Live beginning with Dr. Fauci & Dr. Birx Cold Open.

Wolf Blitzer (Beck Bennett) interviews Dr. Fauci (Kate McKinnon) and Dr. Birx (Heidi Gardner) about the newly approved COVID-19 vaccine.
I couldn't resist some comedy about good news featuring one of Time Magazine's Guardians of the Year. May the real Dr. Fauci be more appreciated when the COVID-19 pandemic is over than Kate McKinnon's portrayal of him hopes. As for Dr. Birx, bleach may not remove the stain on her reputation because bleach is the stain on her reputation.

While most of the show was about the effect coronavirus is having on the holidays and the hope inspired by the vaccine coming, Weekend Update opened by shifting gears to the failed election lawsuits on behalf of soon to be Ex-President Donald Trump in Weekend Update: Supreme Court Dismisses Election Fraud Cases.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like President Trump’s election lawsuits getting denied by the Supreme Court.
I'm afraid "nothing is ever over as long as Donald Trump can make money off of it" will come true. While "I'm looking forward to not having to pay attention to Donald Trump again,...wait[ing] until January 20, 2021 for that to be completely true" may not be enough. Sigh.

In addition to Trump and the pandemic, "SNL" made fun of Space Force, which served as the subject of more comedy in the next segment, Weekend Update: Jay-Z’s Marijuana Line & New Space Force Bases.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week’s biggest news, like Vice President Pence announcing new Space Force bases.
I got a kick out of the joke about the Space Force bases being at Tomorrowland in The Magic Kingdom and EPCOT at Walt Disney World, if for no other reason than I de-stress by watching videos about theme parks, particularly Disney's theme parks, so I've been watching a lot of videos about them lately. After all, "I can't be all DOOM all the time." It was funny, even though Trump's space policy is the only thing about his administration I like, including Space Force.

The coronavirus vaccine was the subject of the next segment, Weekend Update: Dr. Wenowdis on the COVID-19 Vaccine.

Dr. Wenowdis (Kate McKinnon) stops by Weekend Update to discuss the new COVID-19 vaccine.
I'm going to be a good environmentalist and recycle my reaction to McKinnon as Dr. Wenowdis.
Kate, Kate, are you O.K.?" "Obviously not." Well, at least Kate is aware of the state of her mental health. I hope all the rest of us are, too, and take care of ourselves accordingly.
I conclude with Coronavirus Holiday.

A family of coronavirus particles (Timothée Chalamet, Cecily Strong, Beck Bennett, Lauren Holt) have a disagreement during a Christmas reunion.
I don't usually include skits other than the cold opens because their quality is uneven and their subjects are often unrelated to the topic I'm want to feature, but I think this one was spot on.

That's it for today's Sunday entertainment feature. Stay tuned for tomorrow's installment, when I plan on finishing the series I began with Joe Biden and Kamala Harris named Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment