Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Trevor Noah, John Oliver, and CNN examine the filibuster

I've dedicated just one post to the filibuster, Vox calls the filibuster 'The weird rule that broke American politics'. I concluded it with a prediction.
The bottom line is that the filibuster was not always with us, so it may not always will be with us. I expect that if Democrats win control of the presidency and the Senate in 2020, it might go in 2021. I don't know if I'll be all that upset to see it gone.
It's 2021 and those conditions have come to pass, so eliminating the filibuster is on the agenda. I begin with a comic explanation of the history of the procedure, beginning with The Daily Show with Trevor Noah's The Filibuster - If You Don’t Know, Now You Know.

The Senate filibuster is one of the biggest things standing in the way of anti-voter suppression laws, raising the minimum wage and immigration reform. What is this loophole, and how does it affect governing today?
The same day The Daily Show uploaded that, CNN uploaded its own video asking Can Democrats destroy the filibuster?

A growing number of voices on the liberal left, now including Illinois Senator Dick Durbin (the body’s No. 2 highest-ranking member), believe it’s time to jettison the Senate’s legislative filibuster. In this latest episode of The Point, CNN’s Chris Cillizza explains why these lawmakers think the time has finally come.
Cilizza is trying to be entertaining, but he's primarily a reporter, not a comedian like Trevor Noah or John Oliver, who created Filibuster: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver nearly two years ago.

John Oliver explains why filibusters exist, why they shouldn't, and why it's stupid to drink coffee like a cat.
Hahahahaha! I'm surprised that I not only never shared it here, I hadn't even watched it before. After watching it, I'm even more sure of what I wrote last fall, "eliminating the filibuster is worth doing, even if it's a double-edged sword."

No comments:

Post a Comment