Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Closer looks at CPAC, Andrew Cuomo, and the Golden Globes from Colbert, Meyers, Kimmel, and Corden

It's the first Tuesday of the new month, which means it's time to look at what the late night talk show hosts had to say about the news on Monday night, beginning with Stephen Colbert's monologue, CPAC Worships A Golden Idol While Gov. Cuomo Faces Calls To Resign.

It was a big weekend for politicians on both sides of the aisle, as the former president spoke to a gathering of ultra-conservative Republicans in Florida and New York’s governor Andrew Cuomo faced calls for his resignation after two former staffers leveled allegations of sexual harassment against him.
I'm with Stephen, who'd like Donald Trump to go away. Unfortunately, as I predicted twice last December, that won't happen.
I'm afraid "nothing is ever over as long as Donald Trump can make money off of it" will come true. While "I'm looking forward to not having to pay attention to Donald Trump again,...wait[ing] until January 20, 2021 for that to be completely true" may not be enough. Sigh.
Sometimes I hate being right.

On the other hand, there are times when I'm glad I'm right. I shared Grace Randolph's prediction that Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross would win Best Original Score at the Golden Globes and then shared a video about the music. While I can't claim credit for Grace's opinion, I can claim credit for supporting her correct forecast. Watch Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Jon Batiste: Best Motion Picture Score - 2021 Golden Globes from NBC.

Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste accept the award for Best Original Score, Motion Picture, for Soul at the 78th annual Golden Globe Awards.
Congratulations and good luck at the Critics Choice Awards!

Seth Meyers had more of a laser focus in Trump, Cruz and Noem Repeat Their Insane Lies at CPAC: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at former President Donald Trump making his first post-presidency public appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where he and his fellow Republicans continued to repeat their deranged lies.
In addition to making fun of the CPAC attendees, Seth focused on how well Trump and the other elected officials attending handled the pandemic. In particular, he contrasted how Trump's "Totally Under Control" shtick aged rapidly and poorly with how the reputation of Dr. Anthony Fauci has risen outside of conservative circles, including Brad Pitt played him on "Saturday Night Live," a performance that earned an Emmy nomination. I'd much rather be in Dr. Fauci's position than Trump's about the pandemic!

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be New York Governor Andrew Cuomo right now. It makes me glad I wasn't 100% on-board with him a year ago, when I expressed my misgivings about one of his decisions.
I have mixed feelings about Cuomo's postponing New York's presidential primary from April to June. It's probably a good thing from a public health perspective — the pandemic is likely to be subsiding by June — but it may not be great for democracy. In particular, the date set is after the deadline set by the DNC, so New York may get penalized by having fewer delegates accredited.
Fortunately, the DNC convention was postposed to August, so Cuomo's decision didn't hurt New York's participation. On the other hand, that doesn't address accusations of Cuomo being a bully and harasser. Now I wonder if that's why Sandra Lee is no longer First Lady of New York State.

In contrast to Seth, Jimmy Kimmel's monologue had his usual wider array of subjects but still ignored Cuomo's troubles. I guess that happens when the show is broadcast out of Los Angeles instead of New York City. Watch Trump Emerges for Crazy Self-Love Fest at CPAC.

Jimmy talks about the mysterious creature known as Donald Trump returning to the stage for CPAC this weekend to talk about Biden’s first month in office and tease a potential 2024 run, the crazy merchandise sold for the event, all the laughs everyone there had, newscasters once again can’t believe that we’ve started a new month, Jodie Foster thanking Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in her Golden Globes acceptance speech, Cousin Sal winning his first award, the end of Black History Month, and we give “The Bachelor: Women Tell All” the toddler treatment.
That golden Trump statue elicited comparisons to the Golden Calf, which trended on Twitter last week, and elicited me to tweet "I should not have been surprised to see #GoldenCalf trend during the Year of the Metal Ox." Personally, I think it looks like a repurposed Big Boy figure and I'm not surprised that it was made in Mexico. LOL, irony.

Returning to the Golden Globes, I wrote "I'm rooting for Foster, the nominee from the most political movie with a nominee in this category." I'm glad to see I got my wish as well as Jimmy K. explaining why Foster thanked Aaron Rogers in her acceptance speech. Congratulations!

Finally, Jimmy and his writers and editors created a funny transition from Black History Month to Women's History Month. I promise that I will be more serious and respectful when I write about International Women's Day next week.

I conclude today's post by outsourcing my reaction to Trump speaking at CPAC to James Corden, answering his own question Did We Miss Trump?? Nope, Not Really.

James Corden kicks off the show with a pledge to go all-in to celebrate both of Ian Karmel's parents' birthdays this week. And James catches up on the headlines, including Donald Trump taking the stage at CPAC and beginning with a line usually reserved for movie villains. After, James, Ian and Reggie Watts tackle the French accent and James longs to bring the show to Australia.
I'm 100% with you, James, I don't miss Trump as President, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment