Monday, March 15, 2021

'Pines of Rome' for a drum corps Ides of March

Beware the Ides of March! For this year's celebration, I'm recycling the concept behind A Drum Corps Ides of March for an election year thanks to Drum Corps International (DCI) uploading Who did it Best? | Pines of the Villa Borghese last month.

Ottorino Respighi's "Pines of Rome" has historically been a frequent repertoire selection for corps. Over 34 years, these four corps turned to the "Pines of the Villa Borghese" movement for their competitive productions. Which one did it best?

00:09 1982 Cavaliers
00:52 1991 Star of Indiana
01:55 1998 Phantom Regiment
02:45 2016 Cadets
I agree with most of the commenters that Star of Indiana did it best. After all, they won that year. I also agree with the commenters who pointed out that the compilation left out the 2012 Boston Crusaders, who also played "Pines of the Villa Borghese." I'm sharing DCI's promotional video of that show, which, ironically enough, features "Pines of the Villa Borghese."


Hi-Stepper has a more complete video, but I'm being a good environmentalist and conserving my resources by saving it for a future post. I just hope DCI doesn't take down that channel's videos before I use them. The same with Courtney Coulston's DCI videos. If those are still up next year, I know which video I want to use in 2022. Here's a meme as a hint.


Remember, we are all Spartacus!

No comments:

Post a Comment