Sunday, March 7, 2021

California theme parks may reopen as early as April 1, no fooling! A pandemic update

For this week's Sunday entertainment feature, I'm posting a pandemic update of sorts, the news that California Theme Parks, Ballparks To Reopen April 1 If Counties Reach Less Restrictive COVID Tiers from CBS Los Angeles.

Theme parks and outdoor sports stadiums could reopen as soon as April 1 under new reopening guidelines released Friday by the California public health officials.
This is good news for theme parks and sports teams, along with their employees, contractors, and fans. It's been a long postponement since last year's proposed July 17, 2020 reopening date. Just the same, I have my doubts that Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and Six Flags Magic Mountain will actually reopen their rides instead of just their restaurants and shops on April 1. I think it will take a while longer for new cases to drop low enough in Orange and Los Angeles counties for that to happen. When it does, I hope it doesn't cause the problems WUSA 9 reported in Six Flags opens amusement park sparking traffic complaints from vaccine seekers.

Some described the traffic as a "nightmare" and questioned priorities.
"Questioned priorities" — I'll be a good environmentalist and recycle what I wrote last June.
Both news items tie into what I first wrote in 2011, "America is quite clear about its screwed up priorities­. My experience has convinced me that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with their entertainm­ent." I elaborated on that in both Possibly (not) the last Detroit Fireworks Show and Christmas music from the Cadets and Crazy Eddie's Motie News, adding "Americans want their entertainment, and will do just about anything to keep it going." The pandemic keeping the parks closed is definitely messing with Americans' entertainment.
Once again, many Americans are being clear about their priorities. They've had enough of the pandemic messing with their entertainment and are happy to have it back, regardless of the public health consequences. Sigh. As I wrote last month, "My friend Nebris thinks this is one of my great insights. I'm sure it is, but, like Jimmy [Kimmel], I wish it weren't true."

No comments:

Post a Comment