Saturday, June 26, 2021

Detroit floods while the Pacific Northwest bakes in record temperatures

I tweeted "A sick planet is running chills and fever" earlier this week. Today's weather in the U.S. supported my statement, beginning with WDIV/Click on Detroit's Homes flooded, cars stranded across Metro Detroit.



Communities across Metro Detroit deal with flood damage

I agree with the comparison to the flooding during August 2014, which I chronicled in This was my drive home tonight, Detroit's flooding made national headlines, and A billion dollar trash day, then revisited in Detroit flooding one year later. This is the first time I've seen so many flooded streets and freeways with submerged and stranded cars since then. I also don't recall seeing so many 24-hour rain totals this large since then as well.
Wow! This fits with climate change resulting in more precipitation, a trend I mentioned most recently in Climate change has made Michigan warmer and wetter last year, although most of Michigan is technically in drought. That might last much longer, as WDIV/Click on Detroit reported Metro Detroit weather: Flood watch in effect until 4 a.m. Sunday.


Wow! I expect more reports of flooding through the weekend. The silver lining is that the heavy and repeared rains should end the mild to moderate drought in SE Michigan.

It's not just metro Detroit experiencing lots of rain and flooding. WOOD-TV reported Weekend rain prompts flood concerns in West Michigan.

Authorities in Kalamazoo want residents to pay attention to the water levels around area rivers and creeks as rain, heavy at times, will continue this weekend.
Be careful what you wish for; you might get it, even if it's rain to break a drought.

That's what passes for chills (along with a very runny nose). Good Morning America reports on the fever in Unprecedented extreme heat in Pacific Northwest causes dangerous conditions.

Seattle and Portland could see temperatures never before recorded.
When I wrote Western drought likely worst in a millennium and may be the beginning of 'aridification', I wasn't thinking of the Pacific Northwest, but I probably should have. I never thought I'd see Medford, Oregon, report a higher summer temperature than Bakersfield, where I lived 39 years ago.

I might have more on the weather Monday. In the meantime, stay tuned for Souther, a fake holiday created by John Michael Greer the Archdruid that I maintain. Wombats and ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment