There's blood in the water as Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders prepare for the first democratic debate of the 2016 race. Three no-name candidates will also be on stage taking cheap shots at the frontrunners. Odds are we can say goodbye to Jim Webb, Lincoln Chafee and Martin O'Malley. Gosh, we hardly knew they existed.I don't think that the snarky Taiwanese animators are right about O'Malley, Webb, and Chafee dropping out just yet, but just in case, I'm sharing drink recipes and suggestions for them to go along with those for Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and even Joe Biden to go along with Paul W.'s Democratic Debate Drinking Game for October 2015.
I'll start with Martin O'Malley. According to Berniementum, "the signature cocktail of Maryland is the Black-Eyed Susan, and the signature soft drink is ginger ale." Here is the recipe from MyRecipes.com.
For readers who want something in between a cocktail and a soft drink, Vinepair has a beer suggestion.
Black-eyed Susan Cocktail
This cocktail's name is taken from the flowers used to make the blanket that drapes the winning horse at the Preakness.
3/4 cup orange juice $
1/2 cup pineapple juice $
3 tablespoons vodka $
3 tablespoons light rum $
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
Garnishes: lime slices, fresh cherries
1. Stir together first 5 ingredients. Fill 2 (12-oz.) glasses with crushed ice. Pour orange juice mixture over ice. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
[W]e find Martin O’Malley kind ofAnd now, the rules.
boringmysterious. Luckily for him, he’s from Maryland, the home of one of our favorite beer bosses – Dogfish Head.
Follow over the jump for drink suggestions for Jim Webb and Lincoln Chafee.
- If anyone else quotes a line from the TV show The Wire to O'Malley's face, take a drink.
- If the line is from Omar, mutter "A man gotta have a code" and take two drinks.
- If O'Malley tries to hit Hillary on an issue, shout at the screen "Yo Bey you come at the queen you best not miss" and take a drink.
- If O'Malley brings up his Irish background, refuse to drink. Dammit, have some standards.
Vinepair lists no drink for Jim Webb, but I'll make up for it with two recipes in addition to the one from Berniementum.
Jim Webb is from Missouri. The staple cocktail is the Missouri Mule, and the staple soda is IBC Root Beer.Here's the recipe from Jolly Bartender.
This is a drink that tastes almost exactly like a Negroni but with no gin. It belongs to the Mule class of applejack drinks. It also has a lot of similarities to the Mississippi Punch. Glassware for the drink is debatable, even in the same recipe I found on my phone app.Webb may originally be from Missouri, but he was a senator of Virginia and Secretary of the Navy, so those parts of his background deserve attention as well. I'll start with the Virginia Slammer from BarMeister.
1/2 oz. bourbon
1/2 oz. applejack
1/4 oz. Campari
1/4 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. lemon juice
Shake all ingredients except orange peel. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or over ice in an old fashioned glass.
1 shot(s) Jack Daniel's WhiskeyFor the sake of completeness, how about Cold Glass's recipe for Navy Grog?
1 shot(s) Southern Comfort
1 shot(s) Amaretto
1 shot(s) Triple Sec
4 dash(es) Grenadine
2 shot(s) Orange Juice
MIX ALL IN TALL GLASS ADD ICE CUBES. YOU CAN ADD MORE OR LESS OF GRANADEN AND O.J. TO TASTE. IS A SWEET PUNCH TYPE DRINK
Navy GrogThat looks like it will put hair on your chest. So will the drinking game rules.
(based on Donn Beach, via Jeff Berry)
¾ oz lime juice
¾ oz white grapefruit juice
1½ oz honey syrup (1:1)
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum (Caliche, Bacardi 8)
1 oz dark Jamaican rum (Appleton 12, Smith and Cross)
1 oz Demerara rum (El Dorado 12)
splash of soda water
Shake vigorously with ice cubes. Strain into a double old-fashioned glass with ice cone around straw.
Finally, Lincoln Chafee. I begin with Vinepair's suggestion.
- If Webb's walk-up music is "In The Navy" by the Village People, take two drinks.
- If Webb says "Semper Fi" at any point of the debate, pull out a silver dollar coin and slam it hard on the wooden table or bar in front of you and shout "Oo Rah". Then take a drink.
- If Webb challenges any person present to an honest-go-God wrestling fight, take two drinks and call the WWE for when the Pay-Per-View event is gonna be.
- If Webb offers up a social conservative answer to a debate question, take a drink for each social conservative Democrat you know personally. You may end up going thirsty, I know, but this is a rule.
We don’t know much about Lincoln Chafee, but hey, he’s from Rhode Island, and there’s at least one good thing from Rhode Island: Narragansett beer.Now for Berniementum.
Lincoln Chafee hails from Rhode Island. Iconic Rhode Island drinks include the Rhode Island Red Cocktail, Coffee Milk, and Rhode Island Ice Tea.For a small state, Rhode Island has a lot of drinks! I'll tackle them in order.
Ingredients in the The Rhode Island Red CocktailI'll pass on the Coffee Milk, as it's a soft drink, and go right to the Rhode Island Ice Tea.
2 oz Blanco tequila (or 4 Copas)
.5 oz Chambord
.75 oz Fresh lemon juice
.5 oz agave nectar
1 dash Orange bitters
Garnish: 1 Lemon and lime zest
How to make The Rhode Island Red Cocktail
Add all the ingredients except the ginger beer to a shaker and fill with crushed ice.
Shake, and strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice.
Top with a splash of ginger beer and garnish with lemon and lime zest.
1 oz vodkaI don't know about Chafee, but the drinks look good. So do the rules.
1 oz gin
1 oz silver rum
1 oz gold tequila
1 splash triple sec
1.25 oz pineapple juice
0.5 oz cranberry juice
Pour all ingredients over ice in pint glass. Give a quick shake with your large tin. Add a large straw and garnish with orange half wheel.
Too bad this is a debate instead of a writing contest among supporters. If it were the latter, Chafee would win and Clinton would come in last. Instead, tonight should have exactly the opposite result.
- If Chafee gets confused for one of the lesser Republican candidates and told by the CNN moderators to wait outside, take a drink.
- If Chafee has to defend the fact his state of Rhode Island is smaller than most American suburbs, avoid Beth Pizio's wrath and take a drink.
- If Chafee brings up the fact that he's the only Republican (former) who voted AGAINST the Invasion of Iraq 2003, take the beer bottle from the nearest Republican partier and take a drink from that bottle, then hand it back. If there are no Republicans near you, shrug it off. If the Republicans near you already finished off their bottles, mock their existence.
- If Chafee mentions the war, take a drink and act like John Cleese did in that episode of Fawlty Towers.
Enjoy the debate!