Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gas prices already starting to drop

In $4.29 gas in Michigan, which I posted this morning, I reported that gas at the corner station was selling for $4.29 and illustrated it with coverage of the story from WOOD-TV.  A little later in the day, WXYZ joined in about rising gas prices..


The Detroit station added a local angle to the story by mentioning the fire and explosion at the Marathon refinery in Melvindale at the end of April.  To make up for my not mentioning it the time, I present WXYZ's clip about that incident: Marathon checks air quality near refinery.


I should have figured that the explosion would be contributing to high gas prices in the near future, but didn't think about it at the time.

The WXYZ report predicted that prices wouldn't start dropping until the weekend.  I guess the line that the weekend starts on Thursday is true, because prices started to drop today.  This morning, the corner station was still at $4.29, but the three stations down the block had only raised their prices from $3.99 to $4.18.  By this evening, the corner station dropped just below theirs, selling its gas for $4.17.  I'd break out Professor Farnsworth, but I don't want to jinx the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment