Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Discovery News on World War Z

I've only mentioned the zombie apocalypse once before, and that was to mock it.
Speaking of tracking tools, here's the most amusing search term used so far to find this blog:
humans vs zombies michigan state university
Looks like this blog has already been swept up in the fear of the zombie apocalypse. So, what's next in search terms--2012?
That was at the end of March 2011.  Since then, nothing until today, as I consider the zombie apocalypse to be at best a metaphor for what Americans fear about the future, not a real possibility.  In fact, I take the idea about as seriously as I do The Rapture.
I don't take this version of the end of the world (as we know it) as seriously as the one I've been blogging about the past two months.  No supernatural causes will be needed to bring about the collapse of civilization; the interaction of human behavior with limited resources can do that all by themselves. That end will be completely natural, not supernatural.
That was more than two years ago.  My opinion hasn't changed.  However, Discovery News managed to explore the realistic aspects of the zombie apocalypse in World War Z: The Real Plan for Apocalypse.

Say the world was actually taken over by vicious zombies, World War Z style. What would an actual government response to an apocalypse look like? Anthony fights his way through imaginary an undead army to find out.
Who needs a imaginary zombie plague when a very real flu pandemic combined with mass riots against a background of crumbling infrastructure could produce the same response, if not much the same result?  Besides, pandemics are like asteroid strikes; both combine science fiction with the collapse of civilization.  We need to be prepared for both of them.

2 comments:

  1. Narb says you are a FOOL to ignore the impending Zombie Apocalypse!! Without automatic weapons we are all just brain food for the undead hordes that will manifest themselves at any moment!

    Even ABC news has reported on this:

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gun-sales-booming-doomsday-obama-zombies/story?id=16073797

    I know you doubt Narb, but he has read all the literature in the field, and he KNOWS the zombies are coming. Narb only hopes we can be as prepared as the English gentry once was.

    http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv350/Rakshan/scans/zom41x-large.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Narb! I was rolling my eyes at this comment and the reaction it documented, but then Kali and I became fans of "The Walking Dead." I think I'll use your response in my next entry about the show.

      Delete