Thursday, October 19, 2017

'Generation Addicted' wins Outstanding Regional News Story: Investigative Report


I wrote that I had changed my mind at the end of An accident in Oregon for Hagfish Day.
By the way, not only did I write yesterday that I'd celebrate Hagfish Day today, but that I'd feature the Emmy Awards that "The Rachel Maddow Show" won for its coverage of the Flint Water Crisis and its interview of Kellyanne Conway.  I've changed my mind.  I plan on posting an entry about an Emmy winner that covered the opiate crisis, but it wasn't one of the ones I listed in 'Body Team 12' and 'Extremis' both nominated for Outstanding Short Documentary plus other science, health, and environment nominees; it was one I missed entirely.  Stay tuned.
That was because I had found out that there was a winning entry that examined the topic of the first paragraph over the fold in the last post before the winners announced.  I just hadn't mentioned it.  Here's the paragraph.
The opioid epidemic, which I mentioned in U.S. life expectancy falls prompting Russian analogies, inspired three nominees. "Hooked: America's Opioid Epidemic" from NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt is nominated for Outstanding Continuing Coverage of a News Story in a Newscast.  Vice News Tonight's "The Rise of Carfentanil" is nominated for Outstanding Hard News Feature Story in a Newscast.  "Chasing Heroin" from Frontline on PBS, earned a nomination for Outstanding Social Issue Documentary.  Yes, health is a social issue.  Regardless of whether these nominees win their categories, I will probably return to this topic as an example of societal decline and collapse.
It turned out there was a fourth nominee examining the opioid epidemic, "Generation Addicted" from WCAU, NBC 10 in Philadelphia.  Watch as it wins Outstanding Regional News Story: Investigative Report.


When I searched for the segment, I found three copies of the entire report online.  Here is the one from the station itself: Generation Addicted: An NBC10 Exclusive Presentation.

NBC10’s Digital Team spent five months investigating the issue of opioid addiction in the Philadelphia region and beyond. They discovered a generation of addicted people and a public health and law enforcement system ill-equipped to save them.
I'm sure that I'll have more to write about the opioid epidemic in the future, most likely about the prescription pill side of it.

In the meantime, I plan on posting about "The Rachel Maddow Show" and the Flint Water Crisis on the 25th.  In between, I have two posts planned about "The Walking Dead," Sweetest Day, National TV Talk Show Host Day, and Food Day.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment