Monday, January 6, 2020

Patricia Arquette and Michelle Williams urge viewers to vote at the Golden Globes


Like the Academy Awards, the Golden Globes can give Hollywood an opportunity to make political and social points.  Last night was no exception, as two of the winners used their acceptance speeches to urge viewers to vote.

The first was Patricia Arquette, who urged Americans in the NBC TV audience to vote at the conclusion of her acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie.

Patricia Arquette accepts the award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television at the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards.
EN24 News quoted Arquette.
I am grateful to be here to celebrate this work, but you know, it is not an evening that students will remember in history textbooks. We will rather think of a country, United States of America, almost at war, against president who threatens to bomb 52 Iranian sites, including cultural sites, young people who risk their lives traveling the world, people who don’t know if bombs will fall on the heads of their children. And the continent of Australia which is on fire. I love my children with all my being but I implore you to offer a better world to our children and to their children. We have to go to vote in 2020 and we really have to ask everyone we know to go in turn in 2020. Thank you.
I've written about Arquette using one of her acceptance speeches as a soapbox four years ago in Equal pay for equal work at the Oscars, so her speech comes as no surprise to me, doubly so as she won the equivalent award for the same role at the Emmys, so he had the best chance to get up on stage last night.

She was not alone in urging viewers to vote.  Michelle Williams did as well in her acceptance speech for Best Actress in a Limited Series or TV Movie.

Michelle Williams accepts the award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television at the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards.
EN24 News quoted Williams as well.
When we are given a Golden Globe in your hands, you recognize the choices we have made as an actor but also the choices as a person. I am delighted with this recognition of the choices that have been mine and I am delighted to live in an era where the choice exists, where it is possible. As a woman, as a girl, things can happen to our bodies that are not up to us. I have always tried not to be subjected to events that happen to me and I recognize that I have been able to direct my own career but I would not have been able to do so without exercising this right of women to choose. Choose when I will have with my children and with whom. (…) My choices are not necessarily your choices, but whatever your God, we are lucky to live in a country founded on the principle that as a woman, I have the right to live according to my faith and you can live by your faith. Ladies, when we are going to have to vote in 2020, we have to do it according to our interests because men have voted for their interests for years. It is up to us to do the same. That’s why the world replaces them, but let’s not forget that we are the most important group of voters in this world.
I agree with both women.  Vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment