Friday, March 27, 2015

Student worksheets for the fourth year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News


In the previous retrospective for the fourth year of this blog, I noticed a pattern recurring among my most popular entries.
Now that I've taken care of the top post of the past year, I look at the rest of the 20 most read entries and see themes that group the top posts, much as I did in previous years.  In fact, I see some of the same themes as in previous years.  Not only do I repeat myself, but it seems that my readers enjoy it.
The recurring theme of the previous entry was  "Game of Thrones."  In this entry, I examine student worksheets, the theme of one of last year's retrospectives.

The most read of all the posts about student worksheets from the past year was Corn questions from 'Food, Inc.' worksheet posted on October 18, 2014.  It had 1245 page views according to the raw counter as of the end of March 20, 2015, and 822 page views according to the default counter.  Those were enough for third place according to the raw counter and second place according to the default counter, which puts the entry in eighth place for the entire history of the blog so far.  As for how that happened, I'll be a good environmentalist and recycle.
Corn questions from 'Food, Inc.' worksheet wins the back catalog trophy for February with its fifth place finish overall.  It earned its 239 page views this month through web search, as "food inc worksheet answers" was the number one search term during the past 30 days.  It is also number eight on the all time list with 737 total page views, knocking "Game of Thrones--names, geology, and security theater" off the list.  After being in the monthly top ten every month since October, that comes as no surprise.
According to the raw counter, it's still getting page views as it's up to 1287 page views.  Conversely, the default counter shows it losing page views, as it's currently down to 794 page views.  This is despite the default counter displaying 37 page views during the past seven days, 10 of them during the past 24 hours.  This is the main reason I don't use the default counter to rank entries any more; page views can actually decrease.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the student worksheet entries that ended up on this year's top 20.

A review of entries about 'An Inconvenient Truth', posted on April 16, 2014, was the second most popular of the worsheet entries during the past year.  It earned 500 page views according to the raw counter, enough to place it ninth among all of last year's entries.  As for how it got there, aside from my usual social media promotion, which got it a comment within 15 minutes of posting, I credit web search based on how many times I've seen "Inconvenient Truth worksheet" listed among search terms recently.

The final entry on this theme was Student worksheets for the second and third year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News posted April 4, 2014, which shows that I've been writing about this general topic for three years and my readers have responded positively.  It has 394 page views, enough for 17th place among all the entries posted last year.  Like the other two entries, it likely earned its readership through web search, as it includes links to posts about all three sustainability-related movies I show my students, "End of Suburbia," "An Inconvenient Truth," and "Food, Inc."  My students alone probably gave it more than 100 page views over the past year.

Previous entries in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment