Sunday, June 2, 2019

Congratulations to the 2019 EMA Awards winners!


At the end of Democratic presidential candidates from left to center from Voteview, I told my readers to "Stay tuned for an entry reporting the winners of the 2019 Environmental Media Association Awards as a Sunday entertainment feature."  Since I finally covered the nominees in a timely fashion, it's time for me to follow through with reporting on the winners on the first Sunday in June, which is today.  Here are the nominees and my predictions, which I will compare with the winners from The Hollywood Reporter.
As the Environmental Media Association Awards page states, "The EMA Awards honor film and television productions and individuals that increase public awareness of environmental issues and inspire personal action on these issues."  Here are the nominees along with my comments on them.
Feature Film

Aquaman (Warner Bros.)

Isle of Dogs (Twentieth Century Fox)
This reminds me of the 2017 field of "Moana" and "Okja."  The first just showed the beauty of nature, while the second actually explored an environmental issue.  "Okja," the more serious nominee, won.  I think the same will happen here with "Isle of Dogs" beating "Aquaman."  Just the same, "Aquaman" is getting surprising recognition for its themes, as it was also one of the Coffee Party Entertainment Awards movie nominees for 2018 for examining politics in film.
As I predicted, "Isle of Dogs" beat "Aquaman."  Congratulations!
Documentary Film

Above and Beyond: NASA's Journey to Tomorrow (Discovery Channel)

Eating Animals (IFC Films)

Living in the Future's Past (Vision Films)
Unlike the past two years, when “An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power” and "Jane" were clear leaders, I don't see a prohibitive favorite in this field.  I'd root for "Above and Beyond: NASA's Journey to Tomorrow" but I suspect "Eating Animals" has the edge.
I called that one, as "Eating Animals" narrated by Natalie Portman won.  Congratulations!
Television Episodic Drama

The Blacklist "General Shiro" (Sony Pictures Television)
"The Blacklist" was nominated two years ago and won last year, so I'm not surprised that it repeated.  I am surprised that it was the only television drama nominated, so of course it has already won.  Maybe I should start watching "The Blacklist."
Yeah, no surprise there.  Maybe next year, "The Blacklist" will be nominated against "Chernobyl" and have a shot at losing instead of winning unopposed.  Just the same, congratulations!
Television Episodic Comedy

Full Frontal With Samantha Bee (TBS)

The Good Place "Don't Let the Good Life Pass You By" (NBCUniversal)

Saturday Night Live "Season 44, Episode 3" (NBCUniversal)
Of all these, only my favorite fantasy television series "The Good Place" is really an episodic comedy.  The others are variety shows, talk in the case of "Full Frontal With Samantha Bee" and sketch in the case of "SNL."  I think the variety shows have an edge, as "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" won two years ago for Coal, which got him sued, and "Adam Ruins Everything" won last year, but that won't stop me from rooting for "The Good Place."
I half called it, as "Full Frontal With Samantha Bee," a variety series, won.  I don't know which episode earned the show's nomination, but I guess Bee's segment about the Green New Deal would be a good candidate.  Congratulations!
Reality Television

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown "Bhutan" (CNN)

Jimmy Kimmel Live! "Kids Explain Climate Change" (ABC Studios)

One Strange Rock (Nutopia Ltd for National Geographic)

VICE "Engineering Earth" (HBO)
None of these are really reality television except for Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and even the Television Academy considers it an Informational Series, not reality TV.  Just the same, a conventional entertainment electorate would vote for the late chef's show, but this isn't a conventional electorate.  They might vote for "Kids Explain Climate Change," which I included in Noah, Colbert, and Kimmel find the humor in the polar vortex and Trump's 'Global Waming' (sic) tweet.  It was both hilarious and effective.
I missed that one entirely, as the "VICE" episode "Engineering Earth" won.  Just the same, congratulations!
Children's Television

Cousins for Life "Hot Dog Day Afternoon" (Nickelodeon)

Mission Force One "Sea Change" (Disney Junior)

Peg + Cat "The Compost Problem" (PBS Kids)
No Sesame Street?  I'm surprised.  Other than that, I don't have a dog (or a hot dog) in this fight, but my gut says to root for "The Compost Problem."
That was a complete guess based entirely on the title and it being on PBS, but it ended up being right.  "The Compost Problem" episode of "Peg + Cat" won.  Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than to be good.  Just the same, congratulations!

Overall, I called 4.5 out of 6 or 75% of the winners.  That's pretty good.  But enough of me.

I wish one final congratulations and good job to the creators of "Isle of Dogs," "Eating Animals," "The Blacklist," "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee," "VICE," and "Peg + Cat."  You all deserved your awards.  May your shows inspire people to take action about the environment.

That's it for this week's Sunday entertainment feature.  See you all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment