Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Good news everyone! Ozone hole shrinking


I found the perfect story to ease me back into this blog's regular programming after three straight days celebrating Star Trek's 50th anniversary, good news about the hole in the ozone layer.  Trace Dominguez of DNews has that as the answer to What Ever Happened To The Hole In The Ozone Layer?

Around 30 years ago, scientists found a massive and growing hole in the ozone layer. How's it doing today?
...
"The Antarctic ozone hole has been a potent symbol of humankind's ability to cause unintended environmental harm. But now comes a glimmer of good news: The void in the ozone layer is shrinking. 'It's a big surprise,' says Susan Solomon, an atmospheric chemist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge. 'I didn't think it would be this early.'"
I've been looking for a video on this topic I can show my students.  Now I've found one.  Also, I first reported this story in Climate and environment news from Colorado State University two years ago, but it's gratifying to see that the good trend is continuing.  Both are enough to prompt me to post Professor Farnsworth.

No comments:

Post a Comment