Sunday, November 1, 2020

'SNL' told funny but scary stories about the election on Halloween

While today is the end of Daylight Saving Time and when I usually celebrate Day of the Dead, I'm going to skip my traditions this year to concentrate on the election through the lens of comedy. Since it's Sunday, I'm letting Saturday Night Live entertain and inform my readers.

I begin, as did last night's show, with the Biden Halloween Cold Open.

Joe Biden (Jim Carrey) delivers a special message on Halloween.
In between all the jokes, the skit had a serious message: Don't be complacent. We all saw how that worked out last time.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the clips about the election and politics.

The election and the COVID-19 pandemic both served as the source material for John Mulaney's Stand-Up Monologue.

John Mulaney talks about New York Governor Andrew Cuomo’s coronavirus briefings, the 2020 election and his grandmother.
I was half expecting Mulaney to mention Trump being a horse loose in a hospital, but after Trump actually being admitted and then leaving Walter Reed Medical Center, I think that joke has left the barn.

The election was the subject of Weekend Update: Trump’s Final 2020 Election Message, which made fun of Trump making mean fun of doctors.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like deaths due to COVID-19 being linked to President Trump’s campaign rallies.
I hope Ben Carson was suitably annoyed.

Weekend Update closed with Amy Coney Barrett Confirmed & Halloween Robot.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like Bud Light seltzer’s holiday-themed flavors.
I'm glad SNL found something funny about Barrett's confirmation. I couldn't.

I close with Democracy PSA.

In this Cut for Time sketch American voters (Kenan Thompson, Mikey Day, Alex Moffat, Kate McKinnon, Kyle Mooney, Pete Davidson, Heidi Gardner, Ego Nwodim, Bowen Yang) prepare for the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.
I agree with this sketch about the best way to handle this election — hope for the best while preparing for the worst. May my readers take that to heart.

Just as I did for Halloween last week, I expect I will be posting about the election and its aftermath all this week. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment