Monday, June 11, 2018

My Saturn Award votes and predictions for 2018


I concluded A belated World Oceans Day 2018 by promising "I'll post the Sunday entertainment feature I planned for today tomorrow.  Stay tuned."  It's tomorrow, so here is the entertainment update I originally planned to post yesterday, my votes for this year's Saturn Awards along with my predictions of who will actually win each category.  I begin with my votes for the movie nominees.

FILM AWARDS
Best Action / Adventure Film Release
My vote: Baby Driver. Who is likely to win: The Fate of the Furious or The Greatest Showman
Best Actor in a Film
My vote Daniel Kaluuya. Who is likely to win: Chadwick Boseman or Mark Hamill.
Best Actress in a Film
My vote: Sally Hawkins. Who is likely to win: Gal Gadot.
Best Animated Film Release
My vote: Coco. Who is likely to win: Coco or Despicable Me 3.
Best Comic to Motion Picture Release
My vote: Wonder Woman. Who is likely to win: Black Panther.
Best Fantasy Film Release
My vote: The Shape of Water. Who is likely to win: The Shape of Water, Beauty and the Beast, or Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.
Best Film Costume Design
My vote: Wonder Woman. Who is likely to win: Beauty and the Beast, The Greatest Showman, or Black Panther.
Best Film Director
My vote: Guillermo Del Toro. Who is likely to win: Guillermo Del Toro or Ryan Coogler.
Best Film Editing
My vote: The Shape of Water. Who is likely to win: Black Panther or Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Best Film Make Up
My vote: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Who is likely to win: Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Best Film Music
My vote: The Shape of Water. Who is likely to win: Black Panther or Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Best Film Production Design
My vote: The Shape of Water. Who is likely to win: Black Panther or Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Best Film Special / Visual Effects
My vote: War for the Planet of the Apes. Who is likely to win: Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Best Film Writing
My vote: Jordan Peele for "Get Out." Who is likely to win: Get Out or Logan if the voters pay attention to everyone else, The Shape of Water, Black Panther, or Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Best Horror Film Release
My vote: Get Out. Who is likely to win: Get Out or IT.
Best Independent Film Release
My vote: I, Tonya. Who is likely to win: Wonderstruck.
Best International Film
Release My vote: The Square. Who is likely to win: The Man Who Invented Christmas.
Best Performance By A Younger Actor in a Film
My vote: Dafne Keen. Who is likely to win: Tom Holland, Sophia Lillis, or Letitia Wright.
Best Science Fiction Film Release
My vote: Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Who is likely to win: Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
Best Supporting Actor in a Film
My vote: Patrick Stewart. Who is likely to win: Harrison Ford.
Best Supporting Actress in a Film
My vote: Octavia Spencer. Who is likely to win: Carrie Fisher
Best Thriller Film Release
My vote: The Post. Who is likely to win: Murder on the Orient Express.

As one can tell, I think that "Black Panther" is very likely to win most of its categories, but I did not vote for it.  I'll distill the reasons for that decision that I gave in 'Black Panther' vs. 'Wonder Woman' at the Saturn Awards for a late Free Comic Book Day.  First, I did not want to contribute to the streak of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies about single characters or lesser known characters winning the Comic to Motion Picture Release again.  Second, I did not want to abet the nomination committee slipping a movie just under the deadline using their discretion to bend the eligibility period, which messed up the likelihood of "Wonder Woman" having a good shot at winning.  Third, my wife's favorite superhero is Wonder Woman, and I didn't want to disappoint her.  Besides, I do want to recognize the best DCEU movie since Nolan's "The Dark Knight," which might not even qualify as part of the series.  At least I think Gal Gadot will win for Best Actress, even if I didn't vote for her.

By the way, Guillermo Del Toro has already won an award, The Dr. Donald A. Reed Founder’s Award.  Joining him among the special honorees are Jason Blum for The Producers Showcase Award, Jake Kasdan for The Filmmakers Showcase Award, Sarah Schecter for The Dan Curtis Legacy Award, and Don Mancini for The Special Achievement Award.  No Breakthrough Performer this year?  Darn.

Follow over the jump for my votes in the television and home entertainment categories.

TELEVISION AWARDS
Best Action / Thriller Television Series
 My vote: The Alienist. Who is likely to win: Riverdale.
Best Actor on a Television Series
My vote: Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead). Who is likely to win: Andrew Lincoln (The Walking Dead) or Bruce Campbell (Ash vs. The Evil Dead).
Best Actress on a Television Series
 My vote: Caitriona Balfe (Outlander). Who is likely to win: Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) or Melissa Benoist (Supergirl).
Best Animated Series or Film on Television
My vote: Star Wars: Rebels. Who is likely to win: Star Wars: Rebels or Rick and Morty.
Best Fantasy Television Series
My vote: The Good Place. Who is likely to win: Outlander.
Best Guest Performance on a Television Series
 My vote: Michelle Yeoh (Star Trek: Discovery). Who is likely to win: Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Walking Dead).
Best Horror Television Series
My vote: The Walking Dead. Who is likely to win: The Walking Dead.
Best New Media Superhero Series
My vote: The Tick. Who is likely to win: Marvel's The Punisher.
Best New Media Television Series
My vote: Stranger Things. Who is likely to win: Star Trek: Discovery.
Best Presentation on Television
 My vote: Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time. Who is likely to win: Twin Peaks: The Return.
Best Science Fiction Television Series
My vote: Colony. Who is likely to win: The Orville or The X-Files.
Best Superhero Adaptation Television Series
My vote: Gotham. Who is likely to win: Supergirl.
Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series
 My vote: Khary Payton. Who is likely to win: Khary Payton (Doug Jones, Michael McKean, or Evan Peters would win with more professionals voting).
Best Supporting Actress on a Television Series
My vote: Dakota Fanning. Who is likely to win: Candice Patton.
Best Younger Actor on a Television Series
My vote: Millie Bobby Brown. Who is likely to win: Chandler Riggs.

Yes, I expect another big night for "The Walking Dead."

HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Best DVD / BD Classic Film Release
My vote: Lifeboat. Who is likely to win: The Old Dark House.
Best DVD / BD Collection
My vote: Christopher Nolan 4K Collection. Who is likely to win: Dracula, Mummy, or Abbott and Costello.
Best DVD / BD Release
My vote: Colossal. Who is likely to win: Don't know, maybe 2:22 or Cult of Chucky.
Best DVD / BD Special Edition Release
 My vote: Lost Horizon. Who is likely to win: Night of the Living Dead.
Best DVD / BD Television Release
My vote: Westworld. Who is likely to win: Twin Peaks.

If I'm right, "Twin Peaks" will have a good night, too.

That's it for the Saturn Awards from me until July 2nd when I plan on covering the winners.  Stay tuned.

Previous entries about the 2018 Saturn Awards:

No comments:

Post a Comment