I concluded 'RuPaul's Drag Race' wins Outstanding Competition Program while RuPaul tells viewers to register to vote by telling my readers to "Stay tuned, as I plan on covering the awards won by 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver' and other talk variety shows and their hosts." The show won four Emmy Awards, Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control for a Series and Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards and Outstanding Talk Variety Series and Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series at the Primetime Emmy Awards.*
Since I already used "The Wax and the Furious" from "Last Week Tonight With John Oliver" for Presidents Day, which won Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming, I'm going to celebrate by embedding the other Emmy-winning episode, Psychics, which earned the Emmy for Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control for a Series.
Psychics may seem harmless and fun on TV, but they can make a lot of money by exploiting vulnerable people.This is not my usual political fare, but I am a scientist and educator, so I'm going to defend reason against superstition, just as John Oliver and his writers do here.
I thought "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" was the favorite to win Outstanding Variety Talk Series for the fourth consecutive time and it did. Watch Emmys 2019 - Jon Oliver wins for the fourth time to see Oliver accept the Emmy.
The Emmys talk show category win for last week tonight with John Oliver...First, zoologist me has to point out that Oliver is the voice of a hornbill, not a toucan; there are no toucans in Africa, the setting of "The Lion King." Second, his reference to municipal tax districts reminds me that the Reedy Creek Improvement District was lucky not to be mentioned in the segment and that I should eventually get around to embedding the segment. Finally, as I wrote for RuPaul's acceptance speech, "If and when the Television Academy posts an official clip of this award, I'll replace this one with it."
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards honored the best in U.S. prime time television programming from June 1, 2018 until May 31, 2019, as chosen by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
Speaking of official clips, watch Variety's John Oliver Celebrates 'Last Week Tonight's' Emmys Win Backstage.
John Oliver, host of "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver," celebrated his Emmy win and weighed in on whether the ceremony should've had a host or not while backstage.Congratulations to Oliver and his crew for all four awards. Here's to another outstanding season!
*This is the same number of Emmy Awards it won last year but a slightly different set of categories, as the series won Outstanding Interactive Program then instead of Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control for a Series. NASA won Outstanding Interactive Program this year, much to my pleasant surprise. I also thought SNL would win Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control for a Series, so, surprise to me again. Speaking of SNL, that show will be the subject of my next entry about the Emmy winners. Stay tuned.
Previous entries in this series.
- 'Point of View: Sandy Hook Promise' among Emmy nominees for Outstanding Commercial
- Nine Emmy nominations for 'Veep' on National Veep Day
- 'RBG' vs. 'Free Solo' and other Oscar nominees at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards
- 'Hostile Planet' vs. 'Our Planet' - Nature and science nominees at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards for National Wildlife Day
- 'Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown' earns six nominations at the 2019 Creative Arts Emmy Awards for its final season
- 'United Shades of America,' 'Born This Way,' 'Life Below Zero,' 'Deadliest Catch' — unstructured reality shows highlight diversity and nature
- 'Queer Eye,' 'Shark Tank,' and 'Tidying Up with Marie Kondo' — diversity in structured reality programs
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' leads competition shows at the Emmy Awards while being an example of inclusion and acceptance
- 'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver' leads talk variety shows in Emmy Awards nominations yet again
- 'Saturday Night Live' leads sketch variety series nominees with 18 Emmy nominations
- 'RBG' ties 'The Sentence' for Exceptional Merit In Documentary Filmmaking at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards
- 'Our Planet' and NASA win two Emmy Awards each — nature and science at the Emmy Awards
- 'Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown' and 'United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell' both win two Emmy Awards each
- 'Queer Eye' wins four Emmy Awards
- The 2019 Outstanding Television Movie nominees examine politics, technology, and show business
- Outstanding Limited Series nominees show failures of government, large and small
- Outstanding Drama Series Emmy nominees examine politics and family dynamics
- Outstanding Comedy Series nominees at the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards include "Veep," a political comedy
- Nike's 'Dream Crazy' wins Emmy for Outstanding Commercial and shows the power of diversity
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' wins Outstanding Competition Program while RuPaul tells viewers to register to vote